Monday 30 September 2013

Not at the top

From a distance, mountains draw attention as they add shape, texture and definition to the landscape. Close up, they're even more impressive, and daunting if a climb is being contemplated. 

Are we adequately prepared? Have we remembered to bring all the equipment necessary for the task? Questions flood in and fear can paralyse our steps.


Similarly, mountains loom large and sudden in our lives, leaving us feeling weak-kneed with indecision, crippled by anxiety and with a heart sinking in discouragement. 

How in the world do we face up to (never mind scale) this mountain of:shame, sickness, pain, grief, hardship, loss, failure or financial pressure? It all seems so insurmountable. 

And it probably is in our own strength, which is naturally limited by weariness, weakness, doubt and fear.

These mountains cast a dark shadow over our days (and often our nights too) as they appear impenetrable and immovable. At times like this it helps to check in with our mountain-moving God and get His perspective on the situation.

Is this one we circle with endurance, no matter how long it takes? Or ask Him to remove? Or scale with His assistance? The answer can vary. It may involve all three possibilities to some extent.

I've circled, trudged weary and slow for years around a mountain of sickness and pain, my shoes full of wilderness sand that I just long to shake off.

In the past I crept slower still around a mountain of deep depression, despair and discouragement, heavily laden with guilt and shame over the emotional and sexual abuse I encountered as a child.

Sometimes the mountain ground me down. Often-times, it seemed to edge away a little into the distance. But it never disappeared completely...

....I'd love you to come on over with me and read the rest here where I am excited to be guest posting for my writer friend, Chris Morris today...

**********


5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Joy, for this encouragement today. :) xx Here is the comment I left on the guest blog. Powerful yet delicatly woven with tenderness ~ love.
    I was very touched by this writing today Joy. I have walked through the shadows of depression, and it continues to be an uphill climb. The shadows are always still there from the mountain, but your writing brought me reminders of our Saviours peace and Love!
    For the God of the mountain is the God in the valley! I too rest within the rock, and it then gives me renewed strength to lace up my shoes and continue my climb.
    It is writings like your, "Not at the Top" that I read while resting
    "as I shelter a while in the Rock"
    Blessings and prayers my friend.
    Kathy Snow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Kathy. I really appreciate your comment here and over at Chris's site! Your honest and encouraging heart has blessed me too. Yes, God is God in the valley as well as the mountaintop. He walks beside us, infusing His own endurance and strength just when we need it. May He continue to give you peace. Blessings and prayers Xx

      Delete
  3. Thank you. This is an hopeful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Jedidja. Welcome back! It's lovely to see you again. Thank you for stopping by and leaving an encouraging comment. Bless you, my friend. X

      Delete